chalky

Saturday, June 15, 2013

broccoli pesto pasta

Lane has been working in Seattle for the past 6 weeks, and is finally coming home tomorrow!  I haven't felt like cooking for one while he was gone, so I've been living on eggs, Lean Cuisines and sandwiches. Boo.  My shopping cart seriously looked like this almost every time I went.


But now he's headed home, and I decided I'd make myself a special meal to commemorate my last night of bachelorette-hood: a vegetarian dish that I knew Lane wouldn't feel sad about missing. ;)

This broccoli pesto was absolutely delicious, and I'm so glad the recipe made enough to freeze for later.  I was definitely skeptical at first, but I love broccoli and pesto, so why not?  If you're looking for another way to use broccoli besides just a side, or a healthier pasta sauce alternative, try this!  I promise you won't be disappointed.


I used whole wheat spaghetti because that's what I had, but next time I'm definitely using farfalle or penne.  Something about those shorter noodles seems like it would work better.

Broccoli Pesto Pasta
Ingredients:
1 lb. broccoli, chopped into florets
1 lb. pasta
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
3-4 cloves garlic minced
½ tsp. red pepper flakes
1 tsp. salt
½ cup greek yogurt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Grated Parmesan, for serving

Directions:
Bring a large pot of water to boil.  Boil the broccoli florets for 3-4 minutes, until fork tender.  Remove the broccoli and place in the food processor or other bowl.  Add the pasta to the same water and cook according to package directions.  Drain, reserving about a cup of pasta water, then return the pot to the heat.

Melt the butter and olive oil over medium high heat until the butter is melted.  Add the onion and salt and saute until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes.  Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for an additional 2 minutes.  Season with pepper to taste.

Add the garlic and onion mixture to the food processor and pulse to combine.  Scrape down the sides as needed.  Add the greek yogurt and process until smooth.  If needed, gradually add a little pasta water at a time until the sauce is smooth and creamy.  Toss with the pasta and serve with parmesan.

Source: Annie's Eats

No comments:

Post a Comment