chalky

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

beef fajitas

Since we moved to Indiana almost 2 years ago, we haven't been to a single Mexican restaurant here.  (Don't worry, I make up for it on trips back to Texas!)  This is partly due to the fact that my husband is a blasphemous Mexican-food hater and partly because I just don't believe there could be good Mexican this far from the border. 

My assumption was (sadly) proven wrong a couple weeks ago when I went to a popular Mexican restaurant here with some friends.  In an effort to fix my unsatisfied craving for good fajitas, I tried this recipe and OH WOW.  This is what fajitas should taste like.  Marinate them all day for maximum deliciousness, or do like the original author suggests and freeze the steak in the marinade for fajita emergencies.  Bookmark this recipe, folks.  You don't want to lose it.


Beef Fajitas
Ingredients:
1 lb flank steak
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 shot tequila (optional)
Juice and zest from 1 orange
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp salt
Fresh ground black pepper
Large handful fresh cilantro, chopped

Directions:
Place the steak in a large freezer bag or a shallow dish.  Whisk remaining ingredients together and pour over steak.  Refrigerate for at least 6 hours, or overnight.  Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking.  Heat a grill (or grill pan, in my case) to medium high heat, and grill the stake for 5-6 minutes per side. 

Remove from heat and tent with foil, letting the meat rest for 15 minutes.  Slice against the grain and serve with grilled onions, peppers, queso, guacamole, sour cream and tortillas.  Or just some sliced avocado sprinkled with salt, if you're me.  Enjoy!

Source: Confections of a Foodie Bride

No comments:

Post a Comment