chalky

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

chicken and bok choy "salad"

Oh boy, have you seen this video?  That has definitely been me for the past 5-ish days.  I spent so much time soaking up the beautiful weather yesterday that I got sunburned. And celebrated.  We've been rollerblading daily, and going to the dog park as often as I can handle cleaning my car (and dog) afterwards.  I am putting away the heavy sweaters and coats tonight, and then I'll celebrate again.

I love trying new recipes and it is not unusual for all of our dinners for the week to be completely new.  I must be really picky, because I rarely think something is worth repeating!  This recipe, however, is different.  I loved it, and ate it for lunch and dinner for days until it was all gone.  We ate it warm, but according to many, it's just as delicious cold.  Apparently that's why it's called a salad, but I'm not hip enough to understand. ;)


Yes, I realize it is quite a long ingredient list - once you've got all that assembled, you can put it together pretty fast, and it's worth it!  And if you're wondering if I have been making anything besides Asian food these days, you'll probably be glad to know that now I'm on a Mexican kick, so prepare for some can't-be-found-in-Indiana goodness coming your way soon.

Chicken and Bok Choy "Salad" with Orange Sesame Dressing
Ingredients:
For the "salad"-
4 cups brown rice, cooked
1 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken
1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
1 bok choy, rinsed, trimmed, and thinly sliced (I watched these videos to show me how) 
1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
Handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
4 scallions, chopped
1 tbsp sesame seeds (I actually forgot these and it was still good!)
For the dressing-
3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 tbsp orange juice
1 tsp orange zest
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
1 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp honey
1/4 cup canola oil

Directions:
To make the salad, combine all of the salad ingredients in a large bowl and toss to combine.

To make the dressing, combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk vigorously to combine.  Add salt and pepper to your preferences.  Add the dressing to the bowl with the salad a little at a time, tossing gently to coat.  You may not use all of the dressing - I had about 25% left over.  This kept in the refrigerator for about 3 days in an airtight container.

Source: Annie's Eats, originally from A Cozy Kitchen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment