chalky

Monday, February 18, 2013

turkey meatballs

When I first started dating Lane, he was exasperated by how many times I'd say I didn't like something when in reality, I'd never tried it.  What seemed perfectly reasonable to me (I know what I like!) was totally illogical to him.  And that included meatballs - I'd never had one but I thought there was no way I'd want to.  In an attempt to impress him, I eventually tried a recipe, and it's now one of our favorites.  I make these at least once a month - with whole wheat spaghetti or on a sandwich, they're worth a try!

 




Italian Turkey Meatballs 
Ingredients: 
1 pound ground turkey (I use the leanest I can find)
¼ cup grated parmesan
1 egg
½ cup Italian breadcrumbs
1 jar marinara sauce or 1 batch quick marinara sauce 
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese 

Directions:
In a large bowl, combine turkey, cheese, egg, and breadcrumbs.  Roll meat mixture into 1½ inch balls and transfer to a plate.  

Heat the oil in a large skillet (that has a lid) over medium heat.  Working in batches, brown the meatballs on each side for 1-2 minutes. Once all the meatballs are browned, transfer them all back into the skillet and cover with the marinara sauce.  Cover the skillet with the lid and continue cooking for 25-30 minutes, until cooked through.  Add the shredded mozzarella on top for the last 5 minutes of cooking.  Top with extra parmesan if desired.

Source: inspired by Giada De Laurentiis

No comments:

Post a Comment