chalky

Friday, January 25, 2013

chicken and rice soup

I'm warning you in advance, this soup is not pretty to look at.  However, it is delicious, and Lane and I were both sad when the leftovers were gone.  I am normally pretty disappointed with homemade soups - somehow I always end up comparing them to dishwater?  But not this one.  It hits the spot on a frigid winter night and has earned a permanent place in my recipe rotation.  I bet it would be good with corn in it, so I'll probably add that along with a red pepper next time.  And maybe carrots.  And I'll double the recipe so it lasts longer.  Get ready to feel warm and full!

I promise it's good; I don't know why it is so green.

Chicken and Rice Soup
Ingredients:
1 cup brown rice
2 cups cooked chicken (I used a rotisserie chicken and shredded it, didn't really measure)
2 quarts chicken broth
4 tbsp. butter
1/2 onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 jar pimientos, drained

Directions:
Cook rice according to package directions, until the water is absorbed.  Set aside.

Melt butter in a dutch oven or large stock pot over medium heat.  Add veggies and stir around until they are soft, about 5-7 minutes.  Stir in the chicken and broth and let simmer for about 20-30 minutes to let the flavors combine.  Add in the rice just before serving.

I topped mine with a little jack cheese for the picture, but the rest of the time I ate it plain and I think it was better that way!

Source: adapted from Annie's Eats, originally adapted from Pioneer Woman

No comments:

Post a Comment