chalky

Sunday, November 25, 2012

thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving hasn't always been a "big deal" in my family, so it was kind of surprising how sad I was to miss it.  Living 1000+ miles away from home and working retail hours haven't allowed us to get to Houston for the holiday.  But actually, I'm not really sure what a "traditional" Thanksgiving looks like anymore!

3 years ago, on the night before Thanksgiving, Lane proposed! Then on Thanksgiving day, we spent a few hours with our families and headed to a football game.


2 years ago, we went with a bunch of Lane's extended family - 16 of us total - to Puerto Rico for Thanksgiving.  It was so fun!

Last year, we went to one of our favorite restaurants in Indy - Lane had pizza, and I forgot to take pictures.

This year, we joined some sweet, sweet friends and their family!! We're so thankful they offered to include us and we had a wonderful time eating delicious food, playing with their kiddos, and hanging out. 

I had already bought a turkey when we got the invitation to join them, so tonight, I made my first turkey after all.  I did a lot of screaming but was able to successfully remove the gross stuff and was mature enough to rub butter on and under the skin.  Our Thanksgiving-round-2 was just turkey and from scratch green bean casserole, but it was delicious and fun anyway!






I guess I decided that for now, we'll do whatever we can to celebrate Thanksgiving, and be thankful that modern technology lets us "see" our family pretty much whenever we want.

yes, I even videochat with my doggy when I'm away.

After all, being happy is a decision, right?

"I am determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I may find myself. For I have learned that the greater part of our misery or unhappiness is determined not by our circumstance but by our disposition." - Martha Washington

No comments:

Post a Comment