chalky

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

old fashioned fudge

My great grandma, Roberta Katherine, is kind of a legend in our family.  She's my maternal grandfather's momma, and she raised 8 kids - 7 boys and 1 daughter, during the Great Depression.  She was a talented pianist and taught piano as well.  My Grandpa, her son, was one of my favorite people I've ever known.  He tutored me in algebra over the phone, taught me to believe in myself, and loved God and his family passionately.

This fudge feels like a piece of my heritage.  It may not win any beauty contests, but it's delicious!



Gramma Roberta's Old Fashioned Fudge
Ingredients:
2 c. sugar
1 tbsp. plus 1/2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa
1 cup milk
1 tbsp. butter
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 tsp. vanilla

Directions:
Butter an 8x8 baking dish and set aside.

Boil sugar, cocoa and milk together in medium saucepan.  Stir a couple times to mix together but then leave it untouched while it boils. Add 1 tablespoon butter when it boils up, and continue to boil until mixture forms a soft ball in cold water, about 240 degrees on a candy thermometer.

Remove from heat and let cool 10-15 minutes.

Beat on medium high until the candy starts to thicken, about 2 minutes.  Add vanilla and the walnuts, if using.  Continue beating about 5 minutes until very thick, then pour quickly into prepared dish.

Note: When ready to pour, the candy loses its sheen.

This recipe can be used for cake icing that will not crack if you boil it a little less time and let it cool until it is warm only (close to tepid) before you start beating it.
Source: Himes family

No comments:

Post a Comment