chalky

Friday, March 29, 2013

citrusy chicken stir fry

Lane and I went to Tennesee a couple weeks ago to meet my family at my grandma's house for her 86th birthday.  It was a great long weekend filled with good ol' southern cookin'.  After the roadtrip home and my first time at Taco Bell since college (gag), we were desperate for some vegetables.  This totally hit the spot, apparently, since we fought over the leftovers and I woke up to a text from my night-shifter husband requesting a repeat soon.  Done.


I totally recommend using fresh, but frozen broccoli will work in a pinch. We've tried it both ways and fresh wins, no question.
Citrusy Chicken Stir Fry 
Ingredients:  
2/3 cup orange juice
Juice and grated rind of 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons juice)
2 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp soy sauce
5 cloves garlic, minced or grated
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced or grated
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1″ chunks
Salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons corn starch
3 cups broccoli florets 
1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1 small or medium red onion, halved and cut into 1/4″ slices

Directions: 
In a large skillet, whisk together the sauce - first 6 ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and pour into a heat-safe bowl. I pour it right back in the glass measuring cup I used.  Rinse out the skillet and wipe it dry.

Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then sprinkle with corn starch.

Add about 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Swirl the pan to coat it. Add the seasoned chicken and stir-fry for 4-5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.  Add the veggies and stir occasionally until the broccoli are tender-crisp.  Add the sauce, a few tablespoons at a time, allowing the sauce to bubble up after each addition. Serve immediately over hot rice.  Top with toasted sesame seeds if desired.

Source: Our Best Bites

3 comments:

  1. I didn't realize you had a blog... fun! I love that you are passionate about cooking. I will have to try this. I love stir fry. it's a great make ahead and left over meal (that's big because adam is not one for left overs)....I think the OJ would add a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mal! I have had to learn to love leftovers....but it's hard, haha. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I already cook this recipe and it was very delicious. Thanks for sharing it here and now I know on how to cook a stir fried chicken.

    ReplyDelete